You are here

[LINUX GEEKS] Whoever Can Compile GLIBC 2.17 gets FREE COPIES + 6 Months Cloud

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
DeVsh
[LINUX GEEKS] Whoever Can Compile GLIBC 2.17 gets FREE COPIES + 6 Months Cloud
Hello to fellow linuxers,

As not many many know, I am the sole and only supporter of client-side linux binaries of BAW. Yes, your dear DeVsh builds those wonderful Linux binaries you all play.

But DeVsh is the Lead GPU Programmer, and I need time to make epic graphics and also recently to make high performance gravity and water systems.

So I have a lot on my plate, and I could not find any reasonably good instructions on how to build my own libc from scratch. Which as we all know is needed so you dont have to copy ".so"s  from Steam installs.
Also that the acceptable version of glibc to run the game with depends on the version and distro of linux I am using (and I like updating my ubuntu).

Right now I'm sitting on 13.04 which will surely raise the glibc version bar.

Also the binaries of the game need to be totally self sufficient and system independent (system dependencies may really get in the way of people using minor linux distributions or far in the future when our grandchildren will want to play this game at a museum)

The last time I tried to make the necessary libraries, it ate away 4 days of my life and got me nowhere (also took 4 virtual machine installs)

SO.. because I dont have time... I am willing to DISH OUT FREE COPIES to capable and technical linux users/developers who are able to provide me with the following:

32BIT FOR A PRIZE OF 3 COPIES (for you, and to gift your friends and family)
Instructions for building glibc + Build Directory&Source + Built Shared Libraries for 32bit systems

64BIT FOR A PRIZE OF 4 COPIES (for you, and to gift your friends and family)
Instructions for building glibc + Build Directory&Source + Built Shared Libraries for 64bit systems

THE CONDITIONS FOR WINNING:

-- THERE ARE TWO SEPARATE COMPETITIONS, ONE FOR 32bit and ONE FOR 64bit
-- Must be Own Work (and where not, sources of wisdom referenced from the internet... i.e. links from stack-overflow)
-- Group Entries must be made clear with all the members listed
-- Entrants have to provide valid email addresses (as all communication will occur through there)
-- Entrants may have multiple "shots" or make amendments to entries not working out-the-box, but these are counted as new-recent entries and loose chronological priority ( if person A submits a half working thing, then person B submits a working thing, then person A corrects their entry so it works -- afraid that person B wins)
-- I must be able to replicate the build following just the instructions provided (and limited common sense) to get working shared libraries
-- I must be able to re-download the sources of the whole glibc and any dependencies from trusted locations and follow the instructions to get working shared libraries
-- I must be able to swap/link the libraries into BaW and get BaW working off our custom built glibc libraries
-- Entry will be dismissed if it doesnt have pre-built shared libraries for quick evaluation of functionality (hence why I want instructions + build dir + BUILT SHARED LIBRARIES)

THE TECHNICAL CONDITIONS FOR WINNING:
-- You need a complete set of the same bit-width libraries to win in either the 32bit or 64bit category
-- GLIBC should be built with the kernel version higher than 3.0 option ("--enable-kernel=version" to reduce legacy stuff)
-- The FOLLOWING SHARED LIBRARIES MUST BE BUILT:
libc.so
libpthread.so
libm.so
-- THE FOLLOWING MAY HAVE TO BE BUILT (because the one above require very specific versions of the dependencies below)
libdl.so
ld-linux.so (a.k.a dl.so)
libstdc++.so (if there is need to use a certain version of a compiler to make programs with glibc 2.17 source build)
libgcc_s.so (in the case of the same as above)

SEND YOUR SUBMISSIONS/ENTRIES TO           support@buildaworld.net
Remember to include "[GLIBC COMPETITION # bits]" in the topic where you replace # with relevant number of bits of your entry

***=======================================================================***

groundline... has to be fully reproducible with official open sources.. like a scientific study

***=======================================================================***

Competition Doesnt Expire Until a GLIBC is built (with your help or by myself) !!!

P.S. I am aware that a whole GLIBC, BiNUTILS and GCC toolchain may have to be built and used to build the game.
CubeGod
Ah, this will be particularly easy since I just happen to have a generic BINUTILS and GCC without any unique dependencies running on my chroot env, I'll just build GLIBC 2.17 for ya then (oh, I'll build both 32 and 64 bit versions)

What is a convenient way of submitting them when done?
DeVsh
mrpoundsign has already sent a submission (which was close to working)

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT: Eglibc is allowed and even preferable (apparently less bloated) -> crosstool-ng may be USED!